Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Planting Day




I look forward to planting day ALL year! It is the day I get to put all of these (see left) into the ground, and can be reasonably certain they won't die of frost.

This day usually happens between April 30th and May 12th. When all the snow is gone off the giant mountain to our North, I know I can plant my annuals.

I buy these guys in March when they are cheap (well cheaper), baby them, keep them in a warm covered garage, fertilize them, and when the snow is off the peak... IT'S TIME!!!





This year I had over 100 plants to get in the ground, but it is so fun for me to be digging in the dirt in my bare feet! Plus, this gives me a jump on my summer tan every year!



Planting day is an all day event that the whole family does.


Banjo is fascinated by our coi pond, and always has been. She like to put her feet in it and watch the fish nibble them.
Right now the pond looks kind of sad, but when the plants get going, and the algae will die back it will be beautiful!




The dogs are not real big on planting day because it means we close the gate to the garden area. No more dirt to dig in. Can't you see the frown on Dolly's face? She is either sad about the garden, or that I'm taking her picture after giving her that stupid hair cut.
When the flowers start to bloom I'll post the pics. It's beautiful!

2 comments:

The Southern Mint Julep said...

Oh, Dolly does not like her haircut huh. We had a Samoyed which my grandmother decided needed a haircut one summer too. He hide for a week under the house. He hated his haircut.

BTW, I found out also that it is really not wise to trim these long-haired dogs. Their hair actually protects them from the sun's rays during the summer.

diane b said...

What a great idea. Planting Day. Hope you didn't get a sore back. I bet you felt good when it was all done.