Thursday, March 19, 2009

Age 8


MD had soccer tonight. His team practices 4 blocks away at the neighborhood school. This is how our conversation went at a quarter to six.


Me: Time to head to practice, get your ball and get in the car.


him: I'll ride my bike


Me: Alone? You're only 8


Him: I ride my bike all the time.


Me: But I always take you to practice...


Him: Can I please ride my bike?


Me: Don't forget to wear ..


Him: Yeah, my helmet.


Me: and don't...


Him: talk to anyone


Me: Look before...


Him: I know, the street


Me: Are you sure you don't want me to drive you? You're only 8


Him: Mom, I'm 8


Apparently 8 is a relative age, and my son is taking himself to soccer.

5 comments:

RoeH said...

It's so hard to 'let go'. Especially today with all the scariness around. But ya' can't keep them in a closet. :(

The Southern Mint Julep said...

Hey Sassy - Please let Brian know I am missing his beautiful writing. Is he doing okay? I'm a bit concerned about him.

The Southern Mint Julep said...

Sassy - I completely understand your concern. Too many young children disappear (usually at the hands of pedophiles) while riding their bikes around the neighborhood.

I'm afraid he would have been in the car for this mom too.

Brian said...

Just think about the fact that having passed age 8, he's over half way to having a DRIVER'S LICENSE!!!

Anonymous said...

Brain, Love your perspective. While there is a chance something horrible will happen to him on the way to the school, there is a much greater chance that it won't.