Friday, January 30, 2009

E-mail Exchange

This is an e-mail conversation I had this morning with a local radio show that had a comedian on telling offensive racial jokes. My New years resolution was to stand up for good where I can and not to ignore injustice. Because I copy and pasted this, read from the bottom to the top. My letters are in blue, theirs are in red. I have taken the names out. If they write back again I'll post it later today.



I do accept your apology, but it is not that I was offend, I am a caucasian middle aged female in a red state, the jokes were not against me. What I am is worried. The longer jokes that divide continue to circulate the longer hate...even in the name of humor will thrive.

I appreciate your willingness to hear my concerns, and I hope you will pass this on to your comic. Once he tells his jokes and gets a laugh it's over for him, but the people who are teased in school, looked over in restaurants, or worse brutalized physically because society has said it's okay to treat them this way don't get to just move on to the next city and show. Their lives, children and safety are effected by all of us.---



We are sorry that you were offended by today's comic. I wish we had known he was going to do that joke, unfortunately we were live and the entire thing is spontaneous. Our uncomfortable laughs must not have come across that air very well. Off the air we did tell him that it was inappropriate.We are not making excuses, it is just the unfortunate nature of live radio. Again, please accept our apologies.

Thanks,



As one of your 12 listeners, I have to say that the racial "humor" this morning was not only not funny, but dangerous. In this day where people hear these things and then think it is okay to believe and act in this way it has real consequences. What you think is funny and then forget others do not... real people get hurt, real lives are effected. It's not a joke!

7 comments:

Brian said...

You go girl!!!!!!!

And what are doig referring to yourself as middle aged?? If you're middle aged what does that make me???

The Southern Mint Julep said...

Good going girl. We do need to stand up and let our voices be heard. The TV is bad enough, but the radio seems to be getting even worse.

Oscar said...

Good on you. Too many of us just bow our heads and let this sort of thing slide.

But I have to agree with Brian re middle aged! Makes me ancient!

Keep warm and survive those inversions - all my other blog comments are telling Aussies to "stay cool"!

diane b said...

Go Hirl! Stand up and be vocal about how you feel.

diane b said...

OOps should say "Girl" not "Hirl"

Kim said...

you go girl!

Marci Glass said...

Dear Middle Aged Sassy,
I'm glad you stood up for injustice (this must be your week for that) and I'm glad they responded appropriately. Small victories, I guess.
Sincerely,
Older than dirt pastor