Thursday, January 1, 2009

New Years Resolution....really?


So it is that time of year again. Time to think about all the things we do not like about ourselves and our lives, and vow before God and the big ball in Times Square to change them.
Any gym will tell you that membership burst on January 1st. By March 1st their numbers are back to the same people who come year round. I'm not sure, but I bet church is the same way.
Normally I only set one goal. A goal I am happy to say I have reached for 2 years and counting, and that is to not use a Port-a-Potty for the entire year. This may not seem like a hard one, but consider the amount of cola consumed at your average 7 year olds soccer tournament and then judge me. I think I did pretty damn well.
This year I plan to do the Port-a-Potty thing again, but add one more. Which one to add though? There are those 10 pounds that mock me at every turn, the eyebrows I long to pluck but am too chicken to do, the house that could be much cleaner (save your smart remarks here).
Or I could tackle the relationship thing. Spend more time with kids/husband...but if I spent any more time with them they would beg me to get a life. The truth is there are just so many things in my life I would like to have more of, or less of (10 lbs). I guess that is true for everyone. So instead of a resolution to add to my life I have made my resolution to add to others.
Here it is. In 2009 I vow that I will be mindful of things other than myself and my immediate family. I will help those I can, pray for those I can't, and respect the earth and creatures that inhabit it.
That plus the outhouse thing and I should be in good shape when 2010 rolls in!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweet! Thanks for adding to my life, but I don't need the 10 lbs., so don't give me those.

Brian said...

Awww. This is just adorable. My New Years blog was cynical and sarcastic - I like yours better! :)

The Southern Mint Julep said...

Best of wishes for 2009. I have sure enjoyed meeting you, Brian, and Aunt Lucy.

NG said...

I vow to avoid eating fiberglass insulation in 2009. It may be an unconventional resolution, but I'm pretty sure I can accomplish it.

diane b said...

Lovely idea.

Kim said...

love the porta potty - not the object, the resolution. they so gross me out! And for the rest... you've got it in the bag! Oh and try the spa for the eyebrows, which reminds me... :) K