Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Winter Exploration!!!

I was getting stir crazy stuck in the house. There is still another week before the kids go back to school and the Christmas toys are all ready old news. So MD, Lou Lou, Dolly and I grabbed the camera, my i-pod (set to the best of Bonjovi ) and headed out to explore the desert.

Exploration is one of our family's favorite things. Whether its the pond by our house, a dried up canal bed, or the vast miles of Idaho desert, looking isn't good enough for us. We have to explore.

Explore, as we know it, means to get out, walk around, pick things up, sniff them, compare them to other objects close by and come to a conclusion of how we think they got there. This usually involves an elaborate story, millions of years and dinosaurs, but it makes us happy to imagine it all the same.

So without any further adieu.. I give you our most recent exploration.




It may be that I grew up in the desert.. but there is nothing more beautiful to me than miles and miles of open land.

Spring time is really the only season the desert has sharp color, but I think these muted browns and blues are wonderful!

It looks like home to me!






The European Starlings flock in huge numbers to grain fields here in the winter. They move as if one, and can take the form of a dark menacing storm cloud.

It's one of my favorite sights!









I wish you could hear the thunder their wings make as they all take off at once!











I have an obsession with old farm buildings...
I love the story that radiates from them.
























This old building just had "explore me" written all over it!





What trip to the great outdoors is complete without your proverbial cow making an appearance along side the road?














I think Dolly looks like a big fox here..
Mostly I am just showing off how well my new camera takes moving subjects.





We spent about 2 hours out exploring farm lands and the surrounding desert. No better way to spend a winters afternoon!

6 comments:

Piece of Mind said...

It must be in your Genes. Stuck here in this house I enjoyed your adventure vicariously. I took the dog out and let her run by the canal she was happy, she chased a ball and had a good time. But she came home and an hour later, I ballooned up, she must have gotten some mold on her. Anyway I felt guilty she missed the adventure of mud dobben, and she needs more outdoor adventure than I can safely supply so despite the good company, I will bring her in early. Great camera by the way.

Brian said...

Such cool pictures! Those buildings do look like fun to go exploring around! Wish I was there with you guys. :)

NG said...

I have an obsession with old farm buildings too! For years, I've been working on a selection of photographs worthy to become a coffee table book but I'm pretty sure someone beat me to the punch on that one.

RoeH said...

I should've been there to go with you. I love old abandoned buildings. I'll send you a link to a woman in Illinois that I love to read. She does lots of that kind of photography there. And there's an old antique shoppe there that'd be worth the price of a plane ticket to go to. When I lived in North Dakota there were many farmhouses like that and barns out into the ranges. They were always open and fun to explore. *sigh* Also, when you are coming into Twin after Burley, there's an old school house just sitting there on somebody's land I've itched to go into for more years than I would like to suggest. I think it's all locked up now.

Kim said...

You're such a fun mom -- taking your kids out and about! Love the flock of European Starlings picture. Wouldn't even know their name :) K

diane b said...

Great shots and a great activity.