Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Home for the Holidays?


(This is Buddy. I got him from the local animal shelter in 1992. This will be my first Christmas without my best friend in 17 years....this post is for him, and all the other wonderful pets waiting for a home this holiday. In this season of giving please consider helping some of God's most vulnerable creatures.)
How to Support Your Local Animal Shelter: Holiday Edition
By CurbsideWriter

'The holiday season is supposed to be about giving. Animal shelters can use all of the giving that they can get, so why not consider that when you are out there shopping this season?';


Instructions
Difficulty: Easy
Things You’ll Need:
A few extra dollars
A caring spirit
A little extra time


Step1 Consider contacting your local shelter and finding out what they need the most. You may be surprised when you find out what they need the most. Maybe volunteers? Dog walking, a fresh paint-job, plumbing help, lots of tennis balls for the pups? Try calling or just showing up, and asking. (Hint: go/call during not-so-busy times.)

Step2 Shop in quantity. Remember, BUY IN BULK! The shelter is probably over-crowded, and the animals could use all of the comforts they can get to help with the stress.

Step3 A few constant necessities: Dry dog food; dry cat food; jingly balls for the cats; tennis balls for the dogs; baby blankets; and, of course, volunteers!

Step4 Feel good about whatever you do. You deserve the selfish feeling of do-gooderness. It's better to do, than to not do and regret it.

Step5 Make it a tradition! Do this yearly. Maybe have your friends/family do the same. Plan a get-together. Ask for donations to the shelter, in lieu of gifts. Do your part

6 comments:

The Southern Mint Julep said...

Oh Sassy, what a wonderful article. You are a woman after my own heart. So many forget these poor babies. God bless you lady for your sweet, sweet heart.

May God heal your heart also from your loss. I was thinking last night what it would be like when I lose one of my three dogs or my last cat. I cannot even imagine. I dread that day so much.

Julie Anderson said...

Thanks Kathleen, Buddy died in June, but I still can't look at his picture without tearing up. I have another dog now, 2 actually, but there will never be another Buddy.

diane b said...

Pets become a member of the family and it is very hard to lose them. A caring post.

The Southern Mint Julep said...

Sassy - Be sure and check out my blog. I put a special post on there about your sweet Buddy. I hope you do not mind.

Also, I just posted a story about this wonderful couple who work with disabled animals. They are so wonderful. I think you will enjoy the story of Eddie and Leslie also.

Oh, and about your question. Of course I would be honored for you to include my blog on your list of blogs. Thanks for thinking of me.

Brian said...

I was 15 when we got Buddy... the first day of school my sophomore year. He was always your dog, but he meant a lot to me for those few years that I still lived at home with him. I miss him too!

Love you

RoeH said...

Great idea! Animals need care from humans and sometimes I think so few get it. I hate it that people treat them like they are machines.

And like my proposal to Brian, I'll give you a hundred dollars payable at one buck a year if you take off the word verification. :)