Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Please get me something nice for Christmas


This year I have been thinking more and more about the economy...I know you're shocked right? It's not like the economy is a hot topic or anything. Well, it's true, this is the first year I have really dwelt on the less fortunate. That may be because it is in my face every time I turn on my computer, TV or pick up a paper. But I like to think I'm just that kinda of person, (slightly cheeky laugh)

What ever the reason you really can't help to think about money this year. There are just so many who are hurting so much. And yes, I know that there has been every year. There has never been a December when every child in the world went to bed healthy, full and warm. There has never been a month for that matter, that everyone everywhere had everything they needed. And I don't mean new socks for Christmas or a cheap plastic truck. I mean really important things like, water, food, shelter, safety.

This year I just can't do it anymore. I can't look forward to fancy, or even just fun gifts on Christmas morning when some have nothing. I can't buy my kids every little cutie thing I see so that the unwrapping will last more than 2 minutes, when some kids will wake up to nothing. And while every year our family tries to give canned food and a few toys in the bins...somehow this year that just doesn't seem like enough, maybe it never was.

This year this is my Christmas list. And even though most of you are strangers I am going to ask that you please pick one thing on my list to do for Christmas, and send me yours so that I can give you a gift too. If we all gave each other these gifts there really would be peace on earth...or at least a dang good start.

1. Smile at a stranger


2. Drop change in the bell ringers bucket


3. Buy a toy for the bin in the store


4. Give a dollar to the person on the street (not because of what he/she will do with it, but because in giving you also bless.)


5. Buy a bag of cat or dog food for your local shelter


6. Donate blood


7. Give up your seat on the bus to someone who has just as good of legs as you


8. Pay the toll for the car behind you


9. Pick up a plastic bottle off the street and recycle it


10. Say thank you to someone in a uniform


11.Wave to a total stranger


12. Let a car in in the mall parking lot and smile when you do it.


13. Tell the sales lady thanks for standing on her feet all day so you can buy your groceries


14. Give your kid's old coats to a family you know is struggling


15. (And this one I took from Charlie) Make an extra payment in your 401k for future security


These are the things I want for Christmas...and if you are one of my family and want to wrap something, write what you did down on a piece of paper, put it in a box and wrap it up for me.


I'm going to end with my Grandpa's favorite quote...


"I expect to go through this world but once, if I can do any good therefore, or offer any kindness to any of my fellow creatures, let me do it now. Let me not defer it or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

7 comments:

diane b said...

It is so true. We should try to help those suffering at Christmas.I will buy a toy for the K-Mart tree.
I would like to do something for the old and frail too. Like deliver meals on wheels or help at nursing home Christmas party.

Anonymous said...

Great suggestions!

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Paz

Julie Anderson said...

Diane- we are singing Friday at a nursing home..I will do it in your name for my gift to you. Merry Christmas.

Marci Glass said...

great ideas!
we're supporting the Interfaith Sanctuary in honor of all of our friends at church.

The Southern Mint Julep said...

Sassy, you have one of the kindest and sweetest hearts I have seen in a long time. I am going to have to talk you, Brian and Aunt Lucy into coming for a visit with me in Memphis.

Julie Anderson said...

Kathleen- that would be so much FUN!

RoeH said...

Hey I'm in for that trip. I loved Teenneessee. (Like Mississississippppi, I can't stop with the double letters in TN.) Besides, last time I was at Elvis' house, I didn't get away with one of his horses. I need to try again.