Friday, December 5, 2008

Pets: pros and cons

There are many, many things people should consider before getting a pet. This time of year parents go out and get a new puppy or kitty for a great Christmas gift, only to find out they weren't prepared to give it proper care. January -March are always full months at animal shelters. Taking in all those "gifts" that became overwhelming to busy families. I have taken the liberty to jot down a few pros and cons for potential pet owners to think about before you bring home that Christmas puppy.

CONS:

1. The hair: Take it from me, it gets everywhere. On your clothes, your carpet, sofas, church cookies!

2. The time: Depending on the type of pet you get this is a lot or not so much, but any pet will require some of your valuable time.

3. The noise: There is nothing louder than 2 dogs in a full blown wrestling match!

4. The cost: If you do get a pet you will need to invest in him. Buy quality food that supports their health. It costs more, but you wouldn't feed your kids bulk cereal for every meal. And vet bills, even if they stay relatively healthy from good diet and care a yearly vet visit is essential to good health.

5. The energy: Now a fish won't take much energy, but a dog needs exercise every day. And not just physical, but mental stimulation as well though training and games that work their intelligent minds. This can take it's toll on you after a long day.

6. The mess: No matter what kind of pet you get, some cleaning will be required, and your house may not look exactly perfect at all times.

These are just some of the cons you should consider before adopting a pet. And I say adopt because your local shelter is over flowing with all kinds of animals for adoption.

And now the pros of pet adoption,

Pros:

I could only think of one pro to adopting a new pet-

Enough said!!

3 comments:

RoeH said...

Oh this is me again...I was wrong in my answer. You find the place on layout where it says Show Verification and then there's yes or no. I'm dumber than dirt. Got my instructions mixed up. :(

The Southern Mint Julep said...

Oh Sassy, is this your newly adopted baby. Do tell please! If so, I need an e-mail at kat_stephenson@juno.com and a story and photos for a new post on my rescue blog.

Your post says so much. I don't know if you saw the video I posted on my blog about this issue. It is titled On the Outside Looking In (http://memphiskat-tinkerbell.blogspot.com/2008/11/very-special-christmas-message.html).

Julie Anderson said...

This pic was taken on our way home from adopting dolly..see how MD took his shirt off and put it over her in case she was cold or scared. Never mind that it was August...but I thought it was so sweet!